Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Power of the Page

A page from Scripture that is. It never ceases to amaze how, when I feel at a loss for what to read or where to turn, I can open my Bible and glance down to find words that are amazingly suited to where I am and what I need to hear from my Lord. Perhaps it is because all Scripture is relevant and useful for all we encounter but more likely, I believe, it is my God talking to His child knowing my current struggle, desire or inadequacy.

It is not always my Bible that draws me to His comfort. Sometimes I stumble upon something or someone that offers just what my heart is yearning for... these I believe are also ways of the Lord revealing His power to be and provide all I need for each moment of my life. How thankful I am for the nourishment. Some of my favorite memories, however, are when I can be that vessel, that instrument, that deliverer of the Lord's peace and wisdom for another.

Here is where my Bible opened this morning as I prayed. Could it be that this is what you needed this moment as well?

"I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit he takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, so that it may bear more fruit." John 15:1-3

Yes, you can be abiding in the Father and He in you. You can be His hands and feet, and experience the fruit of His love nourishing others through you and then comes the "whack." Pruning is the process of trimming back a plant so that you can "encourage" it to grow as you would like. I think of some of my bushes out front. They will have a beautifully healthy stalk shooting up from the middle of the mass of the plant. And here I come with my shears... "whack!"

Pruning is painful and it may not always seem justified to the one being pruned as we haven't the perspective of God. We can't know what our lives look like from the view of the Creator anymore than a bush, had it the power to think and feel, can know how it is seen to those who look upon it.

4 comments:

Clare said...

I am so glad sometimes that I can't see from the Creator's point of view. I think I would have been forced to use something more aggressive than pruning shears on myself! I never cease to marvel at His infinite patience. He is so tender and loving, yet He doesn't allow me to become overgrown. I just have to remember that painful things are not for grumbling, but for growing!

Lisa said...

Aren't God's ways amazing? Who would have ever thought that cutting something would help it grow?

I love how God's Word never ceases to amaze me with its up to date, never expiring message.

Thanks for sharing your insight.

Rachel said...

Once you get your devotional written, I'd love to read it - You and Clare should collaborate on one because you both have such a talent for spiritual writing! HURRY!!!!

Julie Abel said...

Great reminder for my day today Patti. You are a gem.