Friday, December 5, 2008

Lost Shoes, Found Wisdom

We had a schedule to keep. With a family of nine, most every venture must be plotted, planned and timed. Currently it was time to depart to fetch one high schooler on the way to a preschooler's birthday party. As the "must depart by" time approached, my son realized he couldn't find his shoes. He began to race through the house ever more frantically glancing in every room, chanting at an increasing volume, "I can't find my shoes."

I slowed him down long enough to ask the mommy question, "did you look where they belong?" His response was an emphatic, "Yes!" To which I offered classic mommy hindsight, "if you had followed the rule 'off the foot and in the rack', you'd know exactly where your shoes are." He dashed off again knowing that the deadine for being in the SUV was fast approaching.

Moments later, I made the proclaimation, "It's time to go, NOW." I informed my son, he'd have to wear his dad's Crocs and get in the car.

This ten year old kid totally consumed with "cool" became hysterical. We were going to the shopping mall for this birthday party. The birthday girl had an older sister... he'd be humiliated. The dread overwhelmed him and he became exceedingly passionate about changing the impending course of events.

He threatened, he hollered, he stomped... and the fighter within him was charging forth in full force. In his determination to change his own circumstance, he became disrespectful, he refused take responsibility for his problem and he demanded that I stop and purchase new shoes immediately.

What he did not do, however, was humble himself. I calmly waited for an apology, an admission that his failure to follow the rules had caused him grief and a sincere plea for undeserved mercy. He needed another pair of shoes anyway and I wanted to be the hero. But the opportunity never came. My son never trusted that I would take care of his needs, even if they were caused by his own irresponsibility... he never recognized that he was in need of grace that was his for the asking. Instead he fought with all he had to demand change - and he didn't have much... no time, no money, no driver's license.

My son is very much like me. Many times I've been in a sticky situation and I've reacted with the adult equivalent of kicking, screaming and demanding my circumstances change. How many times I've likely blocked the blessings the Lord was so eager to provide, if only I would have humbled myself and asked for His undeserved mercy and grace.

If you're wondering, his shoes were in his closet... his sister had put them away for him. It was one of the most difficult consequences to enforce, but my son walked through the shopping mall in his father's shoes. Did he learn his lesson? No, but I hope I did.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Pretty background. Isn't parenting the most difficult yet most rewarding job? Good for you for hanging in there. We learn so much from our kids. Thanks for sharing.