"... but you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of the darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy." 1 Peter 2:9-10
It's not really an ego stroke to realize that I, as a gentile, was not God's first choice. Everyone likes to be the first one picked. Remember kickball in school and choosing teams - I wasn't first then either, or second, but I sure longed to be. Yet sometimes the first one selected has a tendency to become arrogant. When you are not chosen first, you have a desire to prove yourself, work harder, please the team captain and affirm his selection of you.
Perhaps that's the real purpose of this message for me - to make sure I do not carry a Christian arrogance (I must confess I'm tempted to do so when I think of people like our president elect) but instead endeavor to work even harder for our Team Captain. Though I can never prove myself worthy being on the team, I can live my life trying to please Him and make him and the others on the team glad He chose me!
By the way, aren't you glad that once you're on the team, you can't be let go or traded!!!
2 comments:
During my Bible study the other day I was learning about the lampstand that stood in Holy of Holies. The author (Beth Moore) said that the closer we get to the light (Christ) the more we can see how imperfect we are and how perfect He is. This is not meant to depress us, but to humble us and to cause us to rely on His strength. It is a perfect heavenly "checks-and-balances" system. God is so good that way, huh?
I, too, am so very glad we can't be traded or let go. Security is one of the things we are all looking for. How marvelous that we have been "adopted" into God's family and now we have a inheritance indescribable.
Post a Comment