Sunday, November 2, 2008

Dress Up Day








I never understood the in vogue concept of changing the name to give something a more favorable image but such is the Christian way of dealing with what the world calls Halloween.  For years, I pondered whether we should allow our kids to participate but in the end - or at least during this chapter - I've decided to not deny them the opportunity to play dress-up on parade.  When my oldest two were our only ones, I took them to the fabric shop where they selected their costume for me to stitch together.  This year, I wanted to revisit the tradition with my little ones.  Unfortunately, I found out that it costs far more to make a costume than to purchase a ready-made.  So, in the interest of good stewardship of both time and money... my youngest five became a pirate-ess; a robot; a fairy; a flapper (if such was a scandalous thing in history, I didn't know it - hum, probably should have studied); a fairy and a cuddly bear.  (My little bear is sporting what immediately became a sentimental keepsake as it was a gift from my friend who watched me groan over the costs of costumes and blessed me with the adorable suit perfect for his first "Fall Festival.")  If you're wondering about the oldest two - well, one went to watch scary movies at a friend's house and the other stayed home for some overdue solitude.  

1 comment:

Clare said...

(I'm sorry, I made two grammar errors in my last comment that would have appalled my mother, so I felt compelled to re-post.) I think that is a terrific name for that day. It is sometimes nice to have license to pretend to be someone else, just for a very tiny while. Your kids' costumes were a huge hit-even if they were "store-bought"!