Some may say it's because we have so many children. But I know in my heart such is not the case. While they bring about some expenses, there are a multitude of other families that have many AND much - the Duggars, the Van Wingerden's and maybe even a family that may read this blog. I'm not really so interested in what "some may say"... instead I'm drawn to determine what the Lord may say as it seems high time to make sure that earthly things we do not have are not symptomatic of our disobedience or lack of Biblical financial wisdom.
So, I've embarked on a new type of Bible study for me. Referencing the topical index in the back of my John MacArthur study Bible - I'm learning everything the Bible has to say regarding wealth. Each verse, I'm writing down, praying over, reading the study notes and pondering what the Word has for us on this matter.
So far, the peace and knowledge I've gained exceeds the words I have to describe it! How great the living Word of God! Paul of the New Testament and Hannah of the Old speak to the power of God over our finances. "The Lord makes poor and makes rich..." 1 Samuel 2 (Hannah's prayer). Solomon speaks of God's gift of riches in Ecclesiastes 5: 18-20.
It is our privilege to exercise the vast wisdom and knowledge offered throughout the text to handle our finances as He prescribes and such will undoubtedly release blessings... but ultimately, it is our Lord's choice who will become wealthy. How comforting!
Before ending this entry, I must make two very important points... one, it is has never been and still is not our goal to be "rich" by the world's standards, instead we seek a level of provision that allows more time to enjoy His creations and the where-with-all to give generously to efforts to further His kingdom. Secondly, we do recognize and offer great praise that in comparison to most on the planet, we have been given tremendous riches, the greatest of which are our children and even in the monetary realm... we rejoice in so many fun and beautiful gifts from the Lord.
1 comment:
I must say that I have never known you to "act" poor. You are more than willing to share from your abundance of what the Lord has given. You have blessed us many times over. We are rich to have you as friends.
Post a Comment