
Even my aging brain can remember when this picture was added to our photo collection... I took it Sunday evening, just a day and a half ago.
As a photographer, I have lots of portraits of the kids and I cherish the memories of the sittings and the images I've captured. What I'm lacking, however, is snapshots. Even this picture is a bit posed though if I kept my camera strapped to my waist like a cowboy has his pistol, I suppose I could have gotten the same shot spontaneously.
Last week, I attended a Celebration of Life service (the in vogue phrase for a funeral.) After all the words were said, a slide show began. They probably displayed about a hundred photos of this wonderful, inspiring woman of God enjoying life with those she loved. It was a beautiful testimony of who she was... far better than all the words spoken and hymns sung.
I guess I've always loved pictures. When I reminisce, it's often like a mental scrapbook that includes duplicates of snapshots in my parent's albums. A visit to any one's home equates to an opportunity for me to learn more of about the person's spirit by looking at the pictures on display.
My daughter babysat over the weekend and one of the kids used her cell phone to take a zillion shots that my daughter was deleting rapidly. I quickly offered to complete the job as I wanted to see what the girl had found worthy to photograph and I strained to see the detail of the almost undecipherable shots on what I think is a quarter inch screen.
Pictures, especially snapshots, are our biography. Our lives may never play out on the big screen (except perhaps when they one day, hopefully, "celebrate our life") but the images we capture through the years are our memories in print. I hope I make the effort to capture and share a lot more of the living in our home especially for those who I so wish we could take more pictures with.
3 comments:
I think I am guilty as charged! I haven't done too much with photos lately. I always tell myself that I will do better, but so far it hasn't really happened. I should thank the Lord for church directories or our family would really be lacking a "family photo". It seems to me that one of my best friends might come see me and take some photos. Love Ya! It is great to see your family on the blog. Love Ya
The question is: what do we do with our photos once we have taken them? I am thinking about papering my walls... and I am not near the photographer you are! You know I agree with you, there are few tangible ways to save memories so photos are especially important.
Your children are absolutely beautiful. Thanks for 'sharing' them with the rest of us via photos!
Post a Comment