This week I met up with another I know on the journey of loving a teenager through what I believe is the most precarious time in life. As we talked and shared our concerns for our daughters who often seem to be in total denial of the traps and snares of this world, I was forced to realize again that our children cannot forever live on the faith held by their parents.
We meet lots and lots of people through life, but only a very small number of those introductions lead to real relationships. Perhaps the same can be said of Jesus Christ - many people are introduced to the Savior but the majority will never find themselves true friends with Jesus.
I can know a lot about someone and not have a relationship - take famous and historical figures for example. And, I can serve a person dutifully and not have a relationship - a boss or two from days gone by comes to mind. Instead, a relationship is a matter of the heart.
As a Christian parent, it is our privilege to introduce our children to Jesus. Like the master of ceremonies, we can and should present His merits, quote His word, speak of His character, and encourage them to listen to His voice.
My challenge, however, is to then allow the Lord to speak for Himself. It's a lack of trust, really, as I fear my teens will not listen attentively... as though the God of the universe in incapable of commanding their attention. I worry that my teens will not be compelled by my introduction (that has been uttered and reiterated for years) to desire a relationship with the One I know to be the Way, the Truth and the Life... as though I have the power to make this or any introduction lead to a life long companionship.
It's little consolation to me, the control freak... that my children's faith in Christ and relationship with the Lord is not something I can orchestrate. Perhaps it's not just about them, however. It may also be my God teaching me to have a greater faith in His love for my children and trusting that the One who spoke our world into existence can hold an audience, create a following and invite my children to build an everlasting relationship with Him that makes my "introduction" seem almost insignificant.
1 comment:
The Lord works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform. Sometimes the most difficult part for us moms is to let go and let God. Prayer is one of our strongest weapons of warfare. We should endeavor to pray for one another. I love your family and our prayers are with you and yours.
Post a Comment