Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Turkey Times

The day is off to a rough start for sure. I went to bed ill and was woken repetitively through the night by my little ones. Upon dragging myself from the bed, I found the kitchen was in a shambles and each task I tried to conquer was met with several prerequisites.

It would be lovely to mention how the kids all raced to the rescue, eager to seek ways they could help with the dinner... but such would be an untruth. Unfortunately, one even chose to be especially hurtful.

We've already visited WalMart and Safeway... and found ourselves back at WalMart shortly after. The week left little time for Thanksgiving holiday preparations.

I've twice come across the maxim, "life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." So, I've tried to dance. But, truthfully, I've looked far more like Master P on the dance floor than Donny Osmond.

Tired and discouraged, the children have sensed my declining spirits and have dutifully begun to help.

What memories are still to be unlocked in the hours that follow is uncertain but this I know. Even on a "yucky" day, there is much for which we should be thankful. Here's a few that too easily slip my mind on other days...

I'm thankful for:

- the gift of time... for such is the stave for the notes of life
- mobility... Dad says whatever circumstance one finds oneself in can be compared to the directory signs in a mall stating, "you are here." How wonderful to know we can move from "here" to "higher ground."
- touch... the sweet sensation of touch when it comes from one you love. I walked through the store one time with my baby in a Snuggly. She faced forward and placed her little hands on my arms as I pushed the cart. I could have shopped for hours!
- spirit... the warmth and comfort of the Holy Spirit, the fighting force of our own spunk and the rallying of those in our favor... the passion of life.

Time to pop the rolls in the oven... the day is already looking brighter.

No comments: