Sunday, December 13, 2009

Excitement, Conviction & Inspiration

Last week we saw a friend we hadn't seen since July. This friend used to sit on the same pew (technically, row of chairs) at church with our family each Sunday.

I love to observe people and though my mind probably should have been completely focused on the sermon, I found myself week after week studying those around me, learning what I could about them and offering up prayers I thought suitable.

In the case of this friend, I noticed the little book he took notes in. I knew the friend had heard this pastor preach for lots of years and I wondered how he continually found so much to write about from the sermons... not that the messages weren't compelling, rather I sort-of assumed he had heard it several times before.

Somewhere along the line, I noticed that the little book he wrote in was perched on his stomach. It looked uncomfortable, in fact he looked uncomfortable. It was then I began to pray for his health. I prayed the Lord would motivate him to work towards a healthier weight and that He would protect our friend from heart problems and such until he did. I thought of his family and how much his easy-going, yet passionate personality must be cherished and I prayed for God to help him.

Being the immature sort that I am when it comes to being a prayer warrior, we left the church and I pretty much left my prayers for this man's health there on that pew. So it's hard to describe all the emotions that I felt when we saw him last week - for this friend of ours looked incredible. He had made a commitment in May to eat healthy and exercise his way back to a healthy weight.

I was excited that the Lord had led me to pray for him. I was convicted that I had failed to continue my prayers when I no longer saw him weekly. And, I was inspired to make a commitment to better health for myself. After all, our bodies are a gift from the Lord - a housing for our souls, a source of strength to do His work in service and love.

Funny, I thought I was blessing our friend those weeks when I prayed long ago and yet, I am now the one with more blessings to tally through the opportunity to grow as a prayer warrior and shrink my waist size!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Patti... thanks for the prayers! It's always humbling to hear how others are lifting you up. Please know my prayers are coming back your way!

Miss you guys!

Blessings,

JD