It was a line Telly Savalas made famous in a 1970's crime drama. And, it's a line that we intuitively but subconsciously ask ourselves routinely. The question we ignore, however, is far more important... Whom, Baby, do you love?
At this moment, a rebellious teen flippantly confesses... "I don't like him and I don't want to like him." It's her brother she's referring to. Admittedly, the object of her "disgust" can irritate and annoy and seems to find pleasure in doing so. Of course, the same charges could be levied against the accuser.
Baby, love is hard. If it were not, Jesus would not have had to repeat himself commanding, "Love one another as I have loved you. Love your neighbor as yourself..." The belief that Jesus loves us so very much, He died for our sins to save our souls is the cornerstone of the faith. We hang all on Jesus' love for us yet we reject with great fervor His requirement that we return the favor by loving each other.
Love is work... hard work... and often we cannot see the positive results. Wash the car... it shines. Mop the floor... it feels good on bare feet. Fix dinner... get a belly full. Love someone behaving rudely... receive insults, have them mistreat your prized possessions, hear them talk badly about you. Get real, where's the positive result?
There are too many moments when I succumb to the natural inclination to get angry, feel betrayed, lash out with nasty words and horrible thoughts rationalizing the choice to do so by a self concocted conviction that a harsh response will cause the ugly behavior to cease and the hurt I'm feeling to stop. All because I've just found the answer at this moment to "who loves ya', Baby?" is "not this child" - or at least I certainly don't feel the love in a way that brings me smiles and pleasure.
Then Jesus beckons, "Baby, whom do you love?" Oh, what a concept. Will it ever truly become who I am... my genuine motivation in parenting, as a wife, to those who hurt me intentionally or not? Could this be the pivotal in becoming a living sacrifice for Christ?
3 comments:
Love is hard, and I'm constantly amazed that God loved us enough to sacrifice His Son in such a cruel way. So often we (and the world) do not return that love, yet He still extends His grace and draws us to Him. AMAZING!
I am so glad God loves me. I too often take that for granted. Thanks for the reminder. ;)
~ Jen
I try to use that as motivation to be a better mom. I tell myself that if there was ever an ungrateful, crabby, obnoxious child- it is me! If the Lord can still have mercy on me then surely I can give a small part of His love to my children. If only that worked all the time!
Post a Comment