Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Fury

Yesterday, my five year old little girlie broke out in screams. It's an interestingly annoying sound she makes that would translate into something like, "Ewww... I don't like this situation. I'm mad. I'm unhappy. I'm not getting what I want and it's your fault!"

This particular incident had something to do with her older brother making her mad. She slapped him and not receiving the satisfaction she sought after the first swing she thought she would try an advanced maneuver that involved jumping and slapping simultaneously. Unfortunately for her, she miscalculated her jump and found her face meeting her brother's elbow. To her, this chain of events was definitely scream worthy.

Our five year old is the fifth born. And, that's very good for her because I can be a slow learner. I'm a very passionate person and I can get emotionally involved quite quickly. It's taken years of such encounters to teach me not to always match my child's frustrations with my own.

The timing of this particular tragedy in her life was less than convenient for me as I had a friend over, my oldest daughters had a friend over and my mind was already engaged in preparing to meet the needs of the evening schedule. Though there was some primal instinct to squelch the child's fussing with some fussing of my own - there was a greater force which compelled me to walk the path to peace methodically and with calm.

I guess to some it makes such sense that calm in the response leads more quickly to calm in the house that they've never struggled with the temptation to join the fury. As for me, however, I've jumped on many emotional roller coaster rides with my little guys.

It's all made me think of our Lord. I get in such a fit over this or that circumstance... sometimes totally consumed. But, God never jumps on the roller coaster with me. He's been down these roads with lots of his children. He knows our fuss is often much to do about nothing. And how much stronger and more trustworthy and steadfast He is because He is steady.

Oh, I have a long, long way to go before I meet every tribulation in our home with such a spirit - replacing my own frustration with a focus and resolve to discipline with a mature heart. I'm just very thankful for my Father above who sets such a beautiful example.

1 comment:

Clare said...

It never ceases to amazes me how the Lord works. I hadn't had a chance to read your post when I put up mine-yep Carson is still awake. :) God gives us grace enough for each day, and that even applies to parenting. Actually that especially applies to parenting!Great minds obviously see the same moral lessons!