Monday, October 13, 2008

Good Timing


I love to make lists, organize and plan and I'm convinced that passion is what keeps me somewhat sane. And, it's probably that devotion to having my ducks in a row that makes the spontaneous notions that play out like they were planned down to the smallest detail particularly thrilling.

Last Sunday, I woke up a little under the weather and certainly not excited about the task of herding the kids through the routine of preparing for a timely church departure. (Who am I kidding, we almost never leave the house on time - usually because of a fancy trick our little girls' shoes perform... they disappear on Sunday morning but only one of any given pair - I digress.)

So, I rebelled... in the name of not feeling well, of course... but after my hubby left dutifully with the older children, I began to putt around and realized I wasn't as ill as I first allowed myself to think. And then the idea hit... I could fancy up the little kids and we could all meet up at church after the services and grab the Christmas pics for our Christmas cards.

To understand the beauty of this story, you have to know... I LOVE sending, but mostly receiving photo cards at Christmas. It is THE best part of the holiday festivities. So, getting our Christmas card pictures is far more important to me than the average bear - since I figure you have to "send" to "receive." And, to fuel my enthusiasm, my friend just picked up her cards while we were out together last Friday. Her cards were so, well, exactly what I wanted.

OK, so back to our impromptu photo session. It was so fun, so easy, so fast and the results were better than if I had spent days and dollars planning outfits and finding the perfect time and place that our family of a million could all be together. By afternoon, the cards were designed online and ordered.

Yes, I should have been at church, perhaps... but I'm still praising the Lord for the gift of the unplanned perfection of the day!

3 comments:

Clare said...

Isn't it fun when we allow ourselves a little freedom and we get to reap the rewards? Not that I believe we should throw schedules out the window, but I think departing from them on occassion gives us a greater appreciation for them when we return!

Lisa Dawn said...

I think your blog is adorable! I can't wait to see your Christmas card.

Anonymous said...

O.k. now I feel convicted to do a photo card for Christmas!! Love your blog and the pictures of the kiddos. You and your family are such beautiful lights in this world.
-Love Mel